Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Dixie-isms

It has been an incredibly long time since I last wrote something in this blog. I've been thinking daily that I should write something and then something always comes up... Actually, I've noticed that as a tendency for blogs I have "subscribed to" also. Regular commentary at first, followed by nothingness.

Her games...

She gets in the car. There is a little hunch to her body language. I can see her watching me out of the corner of her eye. Then, crunch, crunch. I close my car door; she closes hers. The objective is to make it all one sound. "I did it. Or, I didn't do it," she'll say. This is a game she started playing in mid-stage dementia. I know there will come a time when she can no longer play the game. But, this dementia game is one that she would never have cared about before. So, it's a small joy that we can share while so many other joys are gone from her memory.

Slipping out of the house without me knowing it ...

Taking an extra milk at lunch...

New dementia vocabulary

Yum

Sniffles

Cross

Chatter is a long-standing negative word. Blabbering is a new negative word.

Oddities

Cookies in her underware...

Hid my shoes while I was in the shower...

"Why don't YOU drive..." she says to me as we are headed out the door.

"That girl who helps you went to get the paper..." There was no girl who helped me at the time of this comment. I was the girl.

She reads as I drive. "Pick up Window," she tells me as we pull into our neighborhood fast food joint. I hear a slightly different emphasis, followed by an explanation. "I don't want a window," she tells me. "They're heavy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home